The Theatre Royal
The Theatre Royal on St. Thomas Street Situated in St. Thomas Street, this theatre was only about a three minutes walk from Wood's Lodgings (the lodgings were about 500 yards behind {and a little to the right of} the photographer - the direction of this view being towards Scarborough's North Bay). During the mid-1800s this theatre was owned and run by the Roxby family, and on 20 October 1845, the Robinson's eldest daughter, Lydia, absconded with and married the play actor Henry Roxby who performed here.13n  This clearly indicates that the Robinsons, and almost certainly Anne, attended concerts and performances at this establishment.14n  The theatre had a long run, being built in 1767 and not closing until 1924 when it staged a final week of Vaudeville. It was demolished a few years later: the site now being occupied by a night-club.

(Direction of view on map: bottom left towards top right.)


Copyright © 1999 Michael Armitage
             RETURN:       Scarborough Map

26  -  June  -  99   
Mick Armitage (e-mail)