Falsgrave Walk - 1840
Falsgrave Walk - entering Scarborough (1840)
A watercolour by Paul Braddon - 1840.

This was the main Seamer/York road as it entered Scarborough (from the south-west) - the road Anne used when travelling to and from Scarborough on her five, annual visits with the Robinson family. The road is shown here in 1840 - the year she made her first visit to the resort. In the concluding chapters of her novel, Agnes Grey, Anne located the school, where Agnes and her mother lived and taught, on this stretch of road. In the centre of the picture, on the hill, can be seen the castle, and behind the buildings on the right is the tower of Christ Church. This was where Anne worshipped with the Robinsons and ultimately where her funeral was conducted. About six hundred yards beyond and to the right of the church (not visible here!) is Wood's Lodgings - where Anne stayed on all her visits to Scarborough. Immediately beyond this - below the cliff, is the South Sands where she loved to walk beside the sea; and this beach became the setting for the penultimate chapter ('The Sands') of Agnes Grey. A few hundred yards behind and to the right of the artist is the site where, five years later, the York/Scarborough railway station was erected. Anne travelled to Scarborough by train on her final visit with her sister Charlotte and friend Ellen Nussey in May 1849: she did not make the return journey, but died here three days after her arrival.

Today, this section of road is called Westborough, and the area behind the railings on the left is Alma Square.

There is much misconception about which members of the Brontë family visited Scarborough: here is the situation: Anne visited at least four, though, more likely five times with the Robinson family, followed, some five years later, by her final, dying visit with Charlotte and their friend Ellen Nussey. The latter occasion was Charlotte's first visit to the resort, and she only returned once - three years later, to visit Anne's grave. Branwell was at Scarborough on two occasions - when he accompanied Anne and the Robinson family. Emily was planning to accompany Anne on a short visit in the summer of 1845, but the venue was changed to York: there is no indication that Emily, or their father, Patrick, ever visited Scarborough at all.

(Direction of view on map: lower left towards upper right.)

  See also 'The Road to Scarborough' pictures - accessed from 'Main Page'.


Copyright © 1999 Michael Armitage
             RETURN:       Scarborough Map

26  -  June  -  99   
Mick Armitage (e-mail)